So, I got down to sketching. Started sketching goats as they were. Life-like. Anatomically correct. As I got more comfortable with goats, I started to experiment and expand on character development. It really helped to assign them little quirks and personality traits as the sketches came. At one point, I was really frustrated with my pencil sketches because I really disliked how my goats were turning out and headed to my tablet to do some digital doodles.
It really helped me focus and consolidate my efforts to find out that the goats were a warm-up to illustrating a cover (or a two-page spread) for The Three Billy Goats Gruff folktale. Here are some process shots: